Maine State Rep. Melissa Walsh Innes

My photo
Yarmouth, Maine, United States

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Working My Bill

I now have an exhaustive appreciation for the term "working" a bill. As you may have previously read on this blog, I am the sponsor of LD 1631, Maine's Responsible Recycling Bill (or Product Stewardship or Extended Producer Responsibility). I have spent many hours each day discussing, crafting, negotiating, editing, revising, and literally dreaming about the bill. The bill has recently gotten a lot of press, appearing in the Portland Press Herald, online magazine Miller-McCune, as well as a regular, front page feature in the Maine Chamber of Commerce's Impact Newsletter. Suffice it to say that the morning of the public hearing was lively and well-attended, with over 30 people testifying. There was even a sighting of a Maine business owner amongst the squeeze of contract lobbyists and industry associations clammoring to give their two cents on the bill. I was highly appreciative of the many, many people who spoke in support, including two businessmen from Nova Scotia who spoke about the great economic potential in increased recycling. I am also very thankful to those that spoke (and spoke and spoke!) in opposition, as it has given me a chance to make the bill stronger and hopefully more amenable to the business community. I look forward to working together with my committee on the bill in the work session on Feb 4, and know that all of the spirited people who attended the hearing will join us again at the work session to craft the bill together. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interested in a particular topic? Search my blog here...